My newest ebook is published today.
The Candid Portrait: A Photographer’s Guide to Candid Street & Travel Photography is written for everybody who wants to learn how to create better portraits in the street.
There are lots of questions that photographers have when starting out in street photography. Is it safe? How do you take photos of people without them noticing? What lenses should you use? Do you need model release forms? What are your legal rights?
And most importantly – how do you make beautiful photos that capture the atmosphere and vitality of the street?
The Candid Portrait takes you on a journey through the world of street and travel photography. It explores the principles and concepts that will help you create stunning photos.
You need to be so familiar with the way your camera works that it becomes an extension of your eye. Once your camera ceases to get in the way you can focus on capturing the extraordinary moments that all street photographers search for.
Then you should get into the mindset of the successful street and travel photographer. The best photographers understand life on the street and how to connect with the people they meet.
The strongest photos are created when the you master the technical and emotional sides of street and travel photography.
This ebook is presented in 20 easy to digest lessons and includes case studies with photographers Barbara Asboth and Peter Dareth Evans.
The Candid Portrait: A Photographer’s Guide to Candid Street & Travel Photography is written for you:
- It explores the principles of street and travel photography that you need to understand to create beautiful portraits of people in the street.
- It’s easy to read. The pages are laid out and beautifully illustrated, making it easier for you to learn.
- It’s very practical. You can treat each chapter as a creative exercise and go out and put it into practice.
- It has depth and will become an invaluable reference guide you’ll return to again and again as your understanding of composition deepens.
What you will learn
- How to create candid portraits that capture character.
- When the law is on your side, and when it isn’t.
- What the best camera for street photography is, and why ultimately the camera you use doesn’t matter.
- How to use telephoto, standard and wide-angle lenses in street photography.
- How to use Shutter Priority and Manual Mode to obtain the perfect exposure.
- How to master autofocus so you don’t have to worry about focus.
- How becoming an observer of life makes you a better street photographer.
- How to get in the right frame of mind for street photography.
- How the 100 strangers project can improve your street photography and help you connect with people.
- How to approach people in the street and ask them for a portrait.
- How to take candid portraits without being noticed.
- The key differences between taking photos at home and abroad.
- Why you need to understand the subtleties of light.
- How to connect with people though culture.
- How making friends helps you make better photos in the street while travelling.
- How to choose between colour and black and white.
Yes, there’s a special offer! To celebrate the publication of The Candid Portrait all ebooks and ebook bundles are discounted by $4 until the end of June (click here to see the ebook bundles). The special offer is applied automatically at checkout. It expires at midnight, June 30th, 2016 GMT.
The Candid Portrait Bundles:
Save money with the following bundles:
Buy The Candid Portrait and Mastering Photography together for just $20.
Buy The Candid Portrait and Mastering Composition together for just $20.
Buy The Candid Portrait and Mastering Lenses together for just $20.
Buy The Candid Portrait and Square together for just $19.
Buy The Candid Portrait, Mastering Composition and Mastering Lenses together for just $30.
Buy The Candid Portrait, Mastering Composition and Square together for just $25.
Buy The Candid Portrait, Mastering Lenses and Mastering Photography together for just $30.
Buy The Candid Portrait, Mastering Composition, Mastering Lenses and Square together for just $35.
Buy The Candid Portrait, Mastering Photography, Mastering Composition, Mastering Lenses and Square together for just $45.
Buy the Mastering Photograpy and Mastering Lightroom bundles together for just $95.
Note: You can see all the bundles, including the Mastering Lightroom and Understanding EOS collections, here.
Here are some spreads from The Candid Portrait: A Photographer’s Guide to Candid Street & Travel Photography.